OVERVIEW OF PROJECTS IMPLEMENTATION: FROM 29TH MAY 2015 TO DATE
In line with the realization that road development and construction is the backbone for the achievement of the SMART Agenda of His Excellency, Sen. (Dr) ifeanyi Okowa’s administration, the Ministry has awarded 46 (fifty-four) road projects at a total cost of N25.8 billion for construction between May 2015 to July 2016. The value of projects currently being handled by the Ministry, including those inherited from the previous administration is put at N107.95 billion. This covers about 62 kilometres. 17 of the projects with a combined length of about 20 kilometres have been completed.
LIST OF MAJOR PROJECTS
The Ministry of Works has a portfolio of road projects being implemented in line with the policy targets of Government in the sector. These include:
- Dualisation Of Nnebisi Road (From Traffic Light Junction To Cable Point), ASABA.
This 1.71km road being constructed at a cost of N1.699billion links the traffic junction to the River Niger bank through the Cable Point market. 1.15km is for dualisation while the section from the market to River Niger bank of 0.56km is a single carriageway. The road will improve the traffic in that area of the Capital city as well as the socio-economic development of the area.
- Construction of Ughelli-Afiesere-Ofuoma Road in Ughelli North L.G.A
This 8.5 kilometre road will ease the difficulties currently experienced when travelling from the Ughelli area to Isiokolo, Abraka and other communities in that part of the State. The cost of the project is N1,743,871,106.25.
- Main Axial Road at Okerenkoko, Warri South West Local Government Area
The 1.5km length of road with a 20m long single span bridge was awarded at the cost of N921,301,920.00. It will ease access and also integrate various parts of this community.
- Construction Of The Middle Section Of Alisimie/Ozanogogo Road In Ika South Local Government Area
This 5.88km road being constructed at a cost of N1.07billion will improve the road network in the area as well as the socio-economic development of the people in that area.
- Dualisation Of Owa-Ekei/Owa-Alero Road (From Old Lagos/Asaba Road To Owa-Alero Roundabout) In Ika North East L.G.A.
This 5.271km length of road was awarded at the cost of N4.1billion. The road serves the inhabitants of the area and the road-using public as well as improves the general road network in the town.
- Completion of the Construction Of Ogwashi-Uku/Ubulu-Unor Road
The road is aimed at improving access to Ubulu-Unor from Ogwashi-Uku. The total length is 7.5 kilometres. The cost of the project is N839,611,741.50
- Arhagba/Okobia/Okwetolor/Okuabude/Warri-Sapele Junction
The Arhagba/Okobia/Okuetolor/Okuabude Road is a very important link road between Warri/Benin Road (at Okuabude) and the Amukpe/Agbor Road (at Arhagba). The first phase, which is 3.0 kilometres, stretches from the junction of Warri/Benin Expressway at Okuabude to Okuetolor. T he estimated cost for this first phase at N561,652,087.50.
- Widening/Reconstruction Of Owhelogbo/Abbi Road In Isoko North And Ndokwa West Local Government Areas
The Reconstruction of the 7.5km Owhelogbo/Abbi Road will provide a major short link between the Isoko area through Owhelogbo to the Ndokwa/Abraka/Ukwuani axis via Abbi. The estimated cost is put at N682,875,597.60.
- Construction of Okere-Urhobo Community Road in Warri South L.G.A.
The 1.83 km community road is being constructed at a cost N477,700,512.45. The road is a very important link in the community which will improve the socio-economic development of the town.
- Expansion And Upgrading Of Tankers Park Ekpan In Uvwie Local Government Area
This Park is close to the Warri Refinery and was awarded at the cost of N1,682,466,578.94 as a result of Delta State Government’s bid to decongest the Effurun/NPA Express Road and Refinery Road by improving on an existing Tankers Park at Ekpan from 150 tankers to 735 tankers capacity.
- Construction Of Ugbomro Road Between DSC Expressway And Federal University Of Petroleum Resources Junction In Uvwie Local Government Area
This road is 2.4km length and is a vital link between the Federal University of Petroleum Resources, the Effurun / Ughelli Express Road and the DSC Express Road at the other end. This project is presently on-going and was awarded at the cost of N994,424,130.00.
- Dualisation Of Old Lagos/Asaba Road (From Emuhu Junction To Agbor-Obi Junction, In Ika South L.G.A.
This 9.4km Agbor Township arterial road being constructed at a cost of N9.18billion links Benin/Asaba highway at both ends at Agbor-Obi and Emuhu. It will check erosion along the arterial road and also improve the socio- economic development of the town.
- Dualisation Of Asaba/Okpanam Road
This 6.11km road being constructed at a cost of N4.6billion runs from the Nnebisi Road/Anwai Road/Summit road/ Okpanam road intersection in Asaba to the Post Office junction in Okpanam town. The section between Nnebisi/Anwai/Summit/Okpanam junction to Legislative quarters of 2.97km length is for rehabilitation, while the section between legislative quarters and post office junction in Okpanam of 3.14km length is for dualisation. It will improve access to Okpanam town, a fast developing satellite town to the State Capital and also improve traffic flow and socio-economic development of the area.
- Construction Of Joseph Ebolo And Madonna School Road, Asaba
This 4.444km length of road was awarded at the cost of N642.5million on 14th February, 2016. The road serves the road-using public as well as improves the general road network in the town.
- Rehabilitation Of Old Abraka Road (From Traffic Light To Powerline), Owa In Ika North East LGA
This 2.45km length of road was awarded at the cost of N560million on 27th May, 2016. The road serves the road-using public as well as improves the general road network in the town.
- Rehabilitation/Widening Of Access Road To Beneku Community In Ndokwa East L.G.A.
This 4.8683km length of road was awarded at the cost of N840million on 16th May, 2016. The road serves the road-using public as well as improves the general road network in the town.
- Completion Of Dualization Of Access Road To Jesse In Ethiope West Local Government Area
This road is 2.6km length and commences at the Benin – Warri Federal Highway and gives access to Jesse Town which is in the oil producing axis of the State. The scope is for the dualization of an existing single carriageway. The project cost is N1,279,400,057.67.
- Construction of Uduophori (Bomadi/Ohoro Junction)/Toru-Angiama/Toru-Apelebiri/Patani Road (Phase II) in Patani L.G.A.
The first phase of this road was awarded at a cost of N1,173,755,286.11 for a length of 4.85kilometres. When completed, this road will link Patani with Uduophori on the Ohoro/Bomadi road and save travelers along this axis valuable time. It will also help the evacuation of agricultural produce.
- Rehabilitation And Asphalt Overlay Of Jeddo – Ughoton – Omadino Road In Okpe Local Government Area
This road is 12.4km and is a link between Refinery, Jeddo and Omadino towns in three Local Government Areas – Uvwie, Okpe and Warri South. Due to the increasing volume of traffic and failure of the existing road it had to be widened along the Jeddo stretch from 6.2m to 7.3m and strengthened with a layer of Asphalt. The project awarded at the cost is N826,579,830.00.
- Trans Warri/Ode-Itsekiri Roads and Bridges.
This 26.2 kilometre road has 19 bridges and five spurs as well as the internal roads in Ode Itsekiri. It traverses a very difficult terrain over rivulets and rivers. It is meant to open up the vast swamp stretching west coastal area, provide access to many communities along this axis which will bring development closer to the people. This project is estimated at N40.8 billion.
- Dualization of Ughelli-Asaba Road.
Government is vigorously pursuing the completion of Sector A of this project, which is 48 kilometres out of the total length of 148.9 kilometres at a total contract sum of N19.2 billion. This is a major trunk road and vital link between the Warri/Port Harcourt East-West road and Benin/Asaba dual carriage way and will facilitate improved access between Delta Ports and the Onitsha/Nnewi industrial hub.
- Asaba International Airport
The development of air transportation by the State Government deserves special mention. The Asaba international Airport has been operational since June 2011. Government is currently rehabilitating the runway to accommodate larger aircrafts at a cost of N5.021 billion naira.
- Rehabiltation/Resealing Of Okpare-Umolo Ovwodokporkpor- Kiafunction of Kiagbodo Road In Ughelli South Local Government Area
This road is 10.8km and traverses three local Government Areas. The State Government is rehabilitating the road at the cost of about N551 million.
- Construction of Edegbrode/Elume Road
This road, which is 5.465 kilometres long commences at Edegbrode and ends at Elume town by the river. It was awarded at the cost of N873.1 million in June 2016.
- Rehabilitation Of Warri/Sapele Expressway at CH. 6+500 AND CH. 11+000 From Effurun Roundabout.
This is a Federal Highway under the purview of the Federal Ministry of Work. However, as failures along stretches of this road progressed to alarming proportions, the Delta State Government intervened by reconstructing about 400m of this road. The work was awarded at the cost of N230 million. This is one example of the several interventions on Federal roads aimed at relieving the suffering of the travelling public.